Can I Change My Mind After Signing Divorce Papers?

Posted on December 17th, 2019 by Danielle Giannola

Getting divorced is one of the most momentous decisions a person can make in his/her life. While some people know it’s the right step for them, others understandably have second thoughts. Contact one of our knowledgeable divorce lawyers in Lemont, Illinois, Illinois to get informed about the divorce process to determine if this decision is right for you. Whether you can change your mind about going through with the divorce depends on what stage of the divorce proceeding you’re in.

Stage in Process: Filed the Petition

The first step to getting a divorce is to file a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage/ Civil Union with the court. This form provides the court with the information it needs to open a divorce case and also asks that the court grant you a divorce. If you change your mind soon after the Petition is filed, the court may allow you to withdraw the Petition, which would put an end to the divorce case.

Stage in Process: Case in Progress

If the Petition has already been filed and the case is in progress, you can still stop the divorce proceedings, so long as your spouse agrees. In that case, you can both sign a voluntary dismissal stating that you wish to remain married. The case will then be dismissed, and your marriage will remain in effect.

Stage in Process: Judgment Entered

If the judge has already accepted your divorce settlement and signed the divorce decree, it is probably too late to change your mind. Unless there is a legally valid reason to appeal the case or vacate the decree, your divorce will be final after the decree is entered. At that point, if you decide to give your marriage another try, your best option is to remarry your now ex-spouse.

Divorce issues are often quite complicated, so, as always, it’s best to consult an attorney to make sure everything is carried out correctly and smoothly. Giannola Legal LLC’s experienced divorce lawyers in Lemont, Illinois offer free consultations scheduled around your schedule.

Can I Change My Mind After Signing Divorce Papers?

Contact Giannola Legal LLC, divorce lawyers in Lemont Illinois to navigate the complex divorce legal process.


Back to News